Sunday, July 17, 2016

The Alpine Loop near Lake City, CO.

My trip to Colorado was fantastic and I was able to travel the Alpine Loop over two very high passes, Engineer and Cinnamon Pass. After the Forth of July the trail is very busy with 4-wheelers and Jeeps. I have wanted to travel the loop for years and finally hired a private guide to show me around. Here we go!

 The trip starts out on a nice easy road but don't be fooled.

The sights are fantastic. Can you see the tent in this picture?

How about now?

This is an old mining town high in the mountains. We had lunch there.

Houses in the old town, a ghost town now.

Another old house.

What do you think of this view?

In this picture you can see where avalanches have come down the mountain. The trees were wiped out. 

Lots of waterfalls and creeks.

Waterfall I walked down to.

You can see how the size of the stream changes from Spring to Summer due to snow melt. It is pretty slow in this picture but you can see how high it has been. 

Cinnamon Pass and no trees. I was above tree line where no trees can survive. It was a quiet day with very little traffic. 

12,640' above sea level. Cool!

What a great experience. I didn't get any altitude sickness due to having been in Colorado for several days before climbing to this altitude. 

Engineer Pass was the other pass we drove over at 12,800'. Lots of snow there. 

Lots!

There were a few others up there. 

Lots!! 

I came up that road.

Notice the dead trees in the foreground that are dead from beetle kill. The brown ones are standing dead and a fire hazard. 

So many great pictures up there and I will go back, maybe this Fall for the colors. 

I had a great time and love Lake City, Colorado. Look it up on the map and see how deep in the mountains it is. Put it on your list of places to go and you won't be disappointed. Happy Trails!
















No comments:

Post a Comment